About the Airport
Independence State Airport is located in Polk County and owned and operated by the Oregon Department of Aviation (ODA). The Airport, located approximately 10 miles south west of Salem, was built in 1965 to serve the communities of Independence and Monmouth. The Airport also serves as a residential airpark with single-family homes attached directly to the taxiway/taxilane system.
Since its construction in 1965, the Airport has undergone various improvements and expansions. The Airport currently has one paved runway and a full parallel taxiway. Runway 16-34 is 3,142 feet long by 60 feet wide with medium intensity runway lighting and a 4-box Precision Approach Path Indicator (PAPI) on both ends. The Airport provides 100LL fuel and has two Fixed Base Operators (FBOs) to provide services for local and transient pilots.
Independence State Airport is an important component of the local and regional transportation system, providing economic benefit to the local community. The airpark and high value homes that it serves result in significant benefit to the local tax base and overall economy. As one of Oregon’s public use airports, Independence State Airport contributes to the employment of thousands of people and hundreds of millions of dollars in state business sales. A full description of the Airport’s economic impact analysis can be found in the State System Plan.
Funding for the master plan comes from both the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Oregon Department of Aviation. Each federal fiscal year, Congress delegates funding into the FAA’s grant program, known currently as the Airport Improvement Program (AIP), and awards funding to airports across the country. For small primary, reliever, and general aviation airports (such as Independence State Airport), the AIP grant covers a range of 90 percent of eligible costs. The remaining 10 percent will be covered by ODA or, if available, local grants.
More information about the airport can be found on ODA’s website.
About the Master Plan Update
The purpose of this Master Plan Update is to provide a 20-year roadmap that identifies the necessary airport improvements to serve current and projected aviation demand, comply with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) design standards, and address airport issues identified by the State of Oregon Department of Aviation (the Airport Sponsor), airport users, and other community stakeholders.
A successful master planning process includes the early identification of community goals for the Master Plan, as well as airport issues and opportunities derived from discussions with a broad range of stakeholders including ODA staff, airport users, area businesses, and other interested parties. Involving diverse perspectives in the identification of issues and opportunities ensures that a more comprehensive list of topics are discussed. Furthermore, communicating with stakeholders in the early stages on issues helps establish working relationships that will benefit the study process and, ultimately, the development plans.
Master Plan Update Process
The planning process and documentation will follow FAA Advisory Circular 150/5070 6B, Airport Master Plans. The Master Plan Update study involves several tasks to be undertaken in an estimated 16-month timeframe. The master plan includes the following key elements:
- Inventory: An inventory of existing facilities on the airport is prepared.
- Forecast: A look 20 years into the future to forecast what level of activity may occur is prepared – how many and what types of airplanes is forecast, which helps guides future needs. This forecast is formally approved by the FAA.
- Facilities Requirements: Based upon what currently exists and the kind of activity forecast for the future, this step evaluates the types of facilities that might be needed in the future.
- Alternatives Development and Evaluation: With an understanding of facility requirements, this step evaluates how those requirements might be met, and which of the alternatives best meet the planning goals.
- Airport Layout Plan (ALP): A series of technical drawings that summarize and illustrate the features of the plan are prepared to FAA standards for their approval.
- Implementation Plan: An implementation plan is prepared that outlines the sequence of potential improvements and the estimated cost.
The Oregon Department of Aviation has organized a Planning Advisory Committee (PAC), representing Airport users and community stakeholders, to participate in the planning process. Six PAC meetings will be held in addition to two public informational workshops.
The schedule in the link below shows the anticipated planning process over the next 16 months.